Monday 25 April 2011

Leaf Mosaic


Leaf Mosaic, originally uploaded by JRT Pickle.

We had a lovely quiet day at Clougha in Lancashire, creating land art. I have not done any since doing the mud spiral and I looked forward to doing something. The weather is very warm for the time of year, summer seems to have arrived early and we will not complain!

I collected some red, green, yellow leaves and some lovely mud from the river bank, it is great mud, very thick and sticky perfect for land art. Mud varies a lot on where you get it, it can be dark black to a horrible brown and the stickiness of it also varies. I should write a list of different types of mud!

Now I did use scissors to cut the leaves into little squares, I don't feel this is land art cheating even though some might think so, it is just another way of using natural materials for art. I found very nice triangular bit of rock, created my mud square and then spent quite a few hours putting on the coloured leaves!

I like the end result, the red leaves after a few hours turned brown, I will go back to the sculpture later and see if it has changed even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment